The Champions League last-16 continues this week with the primary spherical of the knockout stage set to be determined.
Europe’s greatest will battle it out of their second leg ties over the subsequent couple of weeks with a bunch of massive names nonetheless within the competitors.
Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City shall be flying the flag for the Premier League whereas the likes of Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain are nonetheless going sturdy.
Now that the group stage is finished, we’re all the way down to the actual enterprise of knockout soccer.
This section of Europe’s elite competitors is all the time thrilling and introduces the jeopardy of the away targets rule.
However there may be an added complication this season as some ties shall be held in pure venues, elevating the query as as to if away targets will depend or not.
Do away targets depend at impartial venues?
Because of COVID-19 restrictions, quite a few matches shall be held at impartial venues this season.
RB Leipzig vs Liverpool and Borussia Monchengladbach vs Man City befell in Budapest whereas Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea was held in Bucharest.
Regardless of these ‘house’ groups dropping the benefit of taking part in in their very own stadiums, away targets will nonetheless depend and be used as a tiebreaker if wanted.
It’s because UEFA have opted for a blanket rule for all ties as different matches are going forward as regular.
Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea are all set to play at their house grounds within the second legs of their ties this month.
The away objective rule will come into impact if a tie is stage after extra-time within the second-leg, for instance in a 2-2 draw.
Final season, Lyon beat Juventus to achieve the Champions League quarter-finals. They misplaced their second leg tie 2-1 in Turin however went via on away targets in a 2-2 mixture draw.
As well as, away targets do nonetheless depend in further time. Ought to an away crew take the lead in further time, the house crew would then have to attain twice to progress underneath the away targets rule.
Champions League final 16 draw
- Sevilla vs Borussia Dortmund: First leg – 2-3 / Second leg – March 9
- Porto vs Juventus: First leg – 2-1 / Second leg – March 9
- RB Leipzig vs Liverpool: First leg – 0-2 / Second leg – March 10
- Barcelona vs Paris Saint-Germain: First leg – 1-4 / Second leg – March 10
- Atalanta vs Actual Madrid: First leg – 0-1 / Second leg – March 16
- Borussia Monchengladbach vs Manchester City: First leg – 0-2 / Second leg – March 16
- Lazio vs Bayern Munich: First leg – 1-4 / Second leg – March 17
- Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea: First leg – 0-1 / Second leg – March 17